25 Şubat 2014 Salı

Need for contextual information in intimate relationships

A snippet of a speech between the two psychology students (from different cultures and differing needs of pragmatism and emotionality both in the head and outside the head):

- Why are you spending this time with me and why are you looking at me that way? Is it really because you feel this way? Do you think your behaviours match with your feelings?
- Why would my behaviours not match my feelings? Why would I need to deceive you or myself?
- I don't know, I am only asking to understand if you are true, because we never talk about the way we feel with you.
- We don't need to talk, your actions can tell everything.
- People don't act the way they feel...
- I don't know about others, but I do. I think the thing is you always need more confirmation with words.
- Me? Nooo! Oh yeah, maybe compared to you. I'm used to being intimate in this way though, where people express the way they feel constantly or definetely more regularly. This is because of my relationship history, I've been socialized in this way through my past experiences...
- Hmmm maybe, I remember you told me before. Here, we tend to believe that people behave with integrity, so usually you'd guess how the other is feelings based on their actions.
- Ok, I'd still appreciate it if you give me regular updates about your feelings, it would make me feel more comfortable. I'm not saying you should do it everytime we meet, but you know...
- I know...you need confirmation and contextual information.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder